EducationUSA Academy Connects at UW-Madison provides international high school students the opportunity to explore life at a U.S. university and develop skills necessary to succeed at a U.S. university. Develop your soft skills, evaluate your academic goals and explore related STEAM careers, prepare for the university application process, learn about life as an international student on campus, and connect with faculty and students in STEAM fields in an online environment. Using the university’s online tools, students will engage in activities and discussions with new friends from around the world! The 2023 EducationUSA Academy Connects sessions will provide a well-rounded opportunity to explore preparing for college and what STEAM opportunities await you! Learn more below.
High school students will be taken on a journey of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math) to explore educational opportunities and career paths. Students will investigate their own interests, values, and skills through interactive activities, as well as explore the dynamic world of STEAM careers and research. They will learn about accomplished scientists’ and professionals’ success stories, as well as be able to interact first-hand with presenters to dive deeper in their own STEAM curiosities. This course will also include talks with a variety of STEAM field experts sharing their own educational experiences, research, and challenges & successes.
Skills for College Success Description
Students will prepare themselves to be college ready through a variety of interactive workshops. They will build soft skills such as leadership and critical thinking necessary for academic success, learn from the Writing Center on how to craft a personal statement, and better understand the holistic approach to university admissions. Additionally, students will engage in virtual presentations from both a community and private college to get a better understanding of higher education options in the U.S.
Build an understanding of STEAM Opportunities
- Understand how your interests, values, and skills connect to potential STEAM careers
- Be able to synthesize information about the wide variety of STEAM pathways
- Be inspired by STEAM professionals’ success stories
Preparing for Success at a U.S. University
- Improve English language confidence in speaking, listening, and writing through analysis & discussion
- Utilize soft skills such as critical thinking, problem solving & creativity in group discussions
- Develop connections with UW–Madison students and staff
- Expand knowledge of U.S. educational system, methods to apply, financial aid, the international student experience, and further opportunities to extend their learning abroad
- Explore other higher education institutions, including two virtual campus visits
“This program changed my life in every way possible, especially seeing the world from a different angle.”
—Judan, St. Lucia